EEO Public File Report for Station WYES-TV
February 1, 2015 – January 31, 2016
(Revised Apr 6, 2016)
There were no fulltime hires during the reporting period.
WYES INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
WYES continues to run a robust, multi-cultural internship program year round giving local college students hands-on experience in all areas of production including scripting, producing, chyron, camera, floor directing, post-production. Our interns work on our weekly shows INFORMED SOURCES and STEPPIN’ OUT and also work on our documentaries as well such as NEW ORLEANS AND THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER, THE BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS: A MEANINGFUL VICTORY and more. WYES interns also assisted with our new, 26 episode national upcoming cooking series, NEW ORLEANS COOKING WITH KEVIN BELTON. They also helped with pre-production of THE REX BALL AND THE MEETING OF THE COURTS OF REX AND COMUS as well as our televised membership drives and promotion spots for the station. In addition, they also assist with field shoots, transcriptions, etc. They work directly with our seasoned WYES producers and associate producers and other professionals. Many of the permanent staff started off as interns at WYES. This past year WYES trained 7 interns from various schools around our area including DELGADO COMMUNITY COLLEGE, THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW ORLEANS, TULANE UNIVERSITY, OLE MISS and LOYOLA UNIVERSITY.
PARTICIPATION IN EVENTS OR PROGRAMS SPONOSORED BY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS RELATING TO CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN BROADCASTING
Our Senior Staff made several presentations throughout the year on WYES and career opportunities in media production to various students around our community.
- Monica Turner, WYES COMMUNITY OUTREACH MANAGER, presented on June 24th, 2015 – Breakthrough New Orleans Career Day at Isidore Newman High School. Breakthrough New Orleans’ (BTNOLA) Students Teaching Students program is a unique, research-proven intervention which prepares high-potential underserved public and charter middle school students for rigorous academic opportunities, placing them on the path to college, while also recruiting, training and inspiring outstanding high school and college students to pursue careers in education.
- Peggy Scott Laborde, Sr. Producer for WYES, presented at Cabrini High School Career Day on March 11, 2015.
- Monica Turner, WYES COMMUNITY OUTREACH MANAGER, presented at Delgado Community College on July 15, 2015.
- Beth Arroyo Utterback, Executive Vice President and C.O.O. of WYES, presented at THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW ORLEANS on October 20, 2015 regarding careers in PUBLIC MEDIA.
PROVISION OF TRAINING TO MANAGEMENT LEVEL PERSONNEL AS TO METHODS OF ENSURING EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND PREVENTING DISCRIMINATION
WYES Administration completed a major project last year that involved the re-write of our Personnel Manual. It was done in conjunction with The Kullman Firm and specifically S. Mark Klyza, an attorney and principal in the firm.
We started reviewing and updating the personnel manual in February, 2015 including EEO, anti-harassment, discrimination and retaliation policies. Final revision was completed in April 2015. We reviewed the document with Senior Staff on May 12, 2015, with Board Executive Committee presentation, review and approval on May 21, 2015. A full staff meeting was called to present, discuss and answer questions regarding the new handbook on June 16, 2015.
EDUCATING THE COMMUNITY ON STATION OPERATIONS AND CAREERS
TOURS OF WYES-TV
Tours for the following groups took place at WYES-TV which prominently focused on the production activities and positions of the facility. Participants were also made aware of the support and management activities and professions in other departments such as Development, Programming, Promotions, Engineering, Business and Administration that complete the WYES operations.
- March 18, 2015 Tour for Boy Scouts
- April 2015 Tour for Delgado Community College Students
- May 19, 2015 Tour for students and participants in Healthy Start Program
- July 15, 2015 Tour for Delgado Community College Digital Summer Camp Students
Presentation at Ursuline Academy Career Day on March 15, 2015 was removed. The correct career day was March 26, 2014. The 2014-2015 EEO Report has been revised to include that presentation.
One tour was removed from the Tours list because it was not a group tour.